Sunday, August 14, 2022

Summer Reads II

 The Book Woman's Daughter by Kim Michele Richardson


I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in this sequel to "The Book Woman".  Cussy's story of the Blue People of the Appalachians was fascinating, so as this story began,  I was looking for a different plot-line than the original; but it seemed the same to me.  After her Blue mom and white father are imprisoned for marrying in Kentucky, daughter Honey is still facing prejudice and continual obstacles from various people in the community,  just as her mom did.   Fortunately there are folks who step up to support her just as they did for her mom.  So... good characters, but something was missing in this one for me, it was just not as strong and pretty predictable.



Golden Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

Another light read which made me smile.  The author created a totally different scenario than is her norm. In the opening pages, Vivian, a world famous novelist, is killed by a motorist while on her morning run.  She is ushered to heaven by her angel-person, Martha, and granted three nudges to assist her loved ones on earth, while she observes their goings-on for the summer  from the comfort of a beautiful "Greenroom", created especially to her tastes.  Vivian's three kids are foremost in her heart as she watches and determines when to issue these nudges to keep them from making some huge mistakes. 


 

Last page:  "I wish I could write a book about all of this," Vivi says to Martha.  "You, me, the Beyond, the greenroom, the choir, the nudges, the Hermes scarves..."  Martha shakes her head."  So Enjoyable.


The Nature of Fragile Things by Susan Meissner

"As I look down at Candace's letter, I feel my strength leaving me like blown dandelion wisps.  Up to this point my mounting anger at Martin's deceit has felt like something to be harnessed and utilized, like a team of ready horses.  But now I feel undone. Emptied of vigor."


Sophie arrives in San Francisco to meet her yet unseen husband to be, as his mail order bride.  She is running away from her Ireland roots, her New York poverty and...her secrets.  Ironically, she meets her match in a husband who has more.  The backdrop of the story line is the 1906 earthquake and resulting fire.  Learning about a historical event in a novel definitely is a plus for me!

This is a captivating "can't put down" read.  I so enjoy authors who can turn a phrase that makes you visualize the feeling of the characters:  "When people are thrown into an abyss and together find their way out of it, they are not the same people.  They are bound to one another ever after, linked together at the core of who they are because it was together that they escaped a terrible fate."

No matter her past, Sophie is a decisive woman with heart....choosing the hard road as she tries to move past her mistakes.  I will try more of Meissner's writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment